This week I am going to give you some great advice about how to detox for great health and beautiful, clean and clear skin. First, let’s begin with some background information on what detoxing really means and how it can benefit, you, your skin and your health.
It has been estimated that humans consume more than a kilo of artificial toxins per year! The liver is the main detoxification organ of the body; its job is to break down these toxins (from food, caffeine, alcohol, medication etc.) into harmless substances, which can then be expelled safely from the body. When the liver is not working optimally, it can result in a host of problems, such as low energy, hormone imbalances and skin problems such as acne, psoriasis or dull, tired looking skin. Supporting liver function is therefore integral to any detox.
The digestive system is also important with its role of removing waste from the body and we all know how a sluggish digestive system makes us feel – bloated, tired and well, sluggish! Slow digestion will also result in toxins remaining in the body for longer, which is not beneficial for health in general, plus toxin build up can manifest as skin breakouts.
The good news is that you don’t actually need to pay for expensive products or subject yourself to harsh regimes to detoxify your system. Making the following simple changes to your diet is all you need. Try following more stringently for a week or two and then incorporating as much as you can into your long-term diet.
There are two key areas to address for helping your body to detoxify naturally; firstly, reducing the amount of toxins you take in, and secondly, adding foods that support the body’s natural detoxification processes and systems.
Including the following foods as part of your daily diet
will support your detoxification organs:
- • Lemons – great for digestion and liver function
- • Brassica Vegetables (broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts) – support detoxification enzymes in the liver
- • Asparagus – a natural diuretic, reducing water retention
Tip: include 2-3 servings of the above green vegetables every day, steamed or lightly stir-fried to retain maximum nutrients
- • Turmeric – supports liver enzymes, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant
Tip: Add raw garlic to salad dressings and use turmeric in soups, stews, vegetable curries and even smoothies
- • Whole-grains, nuts and seeds – a good source of B vitamins and other nutrients, which are needed for liver function
Tip: Try super-grains quinoa, buckwheat and brown rice. A handful of almonds make a great on-the-go snack
- • Water – flushes out toxins, supports kidney function and digestion
Tip: Start the day with hot water with lemon and make a large jug of lemon water to sip throughout the day
- • Dark green leafy vegetables such as kale, spinach and watercress – support liver and kidney function, provide antioxidants
- • Garlic – supports liver function, anti-bacterial, blood cleansing
- • Soluble fibre (oats, apples, beans and lentils) – aids removal of waste and toxins from the colon
Tip: porridge with grated apple makes a perfect high fibre breakfast, using non-dairy milks such as almond is best for digestion
- • Antioxidants (green tea, fruit and vegetables, cocoa) – detoxification pathways produce free radicals, so plenty of antioxidants are needed to neutralise these
Tip: Eat at least 7 servings of fruit and veg per day, including one serving of berries, drink green tea instead of black tea or coffee and a piece of dark chocolate makes a great treat
Beauty&Go drinks contain a unique combination of MacroAntioxidants plus fibre, so will top-up both your fibre and antioxidant intakes.
Some Further Tips:
- Exercise supports detoxification by increasing circulation, which in turn increases the removal of waste products from the body
- Dry skin brushing stimulates circulation and blood flow, which can aid toxin removal, reduce cellulite and improve the appearance of your skin
- Include a daily Beauty & Go Skin Detox drink as part of your health and beauty routine. In addition to fibre and MacroAntioxidants, the detox drink provides an excellent range of purifying ingredients, vitamins, minerals and super-foods to support the natural detoxification of your skin and body.
Other detoxing ingredients include broccoli, spinach, apple, mint, nettle, olive fruit and resveratrol from grapes. Like all Beauty & Go drinks they also contain collagen and hyaluronic acid, which help improve skin elasticity and reduce wrinkles.
For the best results in promoting clean and clear skin or for help addressing a specific skin complaint such as acne or psoriasis, 1 Detox drink per day is recommended. They can also be enjoyed short-term, following times of excess.