Can you believe its half way through May already? Before long it will be summer holiday time, which means that now is the time to start thinking about getting yourself ready for the beach.
A couple of months is the perfect amount of time to make lasting and visible changes to the way you look from the inside out, such as getting your skin glowing and your body in shape. Below are my top tips and advice for everything you need to get yourself looking and feeling beautiful for your summer holiday.
This has to come first as it’s the first thing most of us think about when it comes to wearing a bikini.
My first piece of advice is don’t be tempted by fad diets – they simply don’t work and usually lead to a ‘rebound effect’ involving re-gaining the weight lost plus a little bit extra (this can also set up the classic “yo-yo dieting” pattern and an unhealthy relationship with food).
Another common mistake is that people think they can lose weight by exercise alone without changing their diet. Weight loss is in fact around 70% down to diet and only around 30% exercise, so you have to get your food right – the two together will of course get you the very best results.
Follow my tips below for simple but effective changes you can make to your diet for permanent weight-loss.
My top 5 weight loss tips:
We all want glowing radiant skin on holiday, especially as we tend to wear less make-up when it’s hot. The food you eat can have a visible effect on your skin, so here are my top tips for clear and glowing skin this summer.
- Include essential fats every day, which act as a natural moisturiser from within. Good sources are oily fish, nuts, seeds especially flax, pumpkin and chia and avocadoes..
- Antioxidants are your best weapon against skin ageing, protecting your skin cells against free radical damage. Include berries, broccoli, beetroot, spinach, cocoa, grapes, plums and green tea every day. Beauty&Go contain MacroAntioxidants®, which provide more powerful and longer-lasting antioxidant protection than you can get from normal foods, so include every day!
- Include food sources of lycopene (tomatoes, watermelon, papaya, red peppers and mango) and beta-carotene (orange and yellow vegetables) daily from now on, as these nutrients will build-up natural protection against UV damage when you go in the sun (never a substitute for sunscreen though!).
- Good bacteria – did you know that the friendly bacteria in your gut have a host of health benefits, including improving the health of your skin? Live yoghurt contains these friendly bacteria and there are other foods such as artichokes, garlic, onions and asparagus, which stimulate their growth in your gut. The unique combination of fibre and antioxidants in Beauty&Go has also been shown in scientific studies to increase levels of beneficial bacteria in the colon.
- Stay hydrated – this helps reduce wrinkles and also flushes toxins out of the body, which can show up on the skin as breakouts. Drink plenty of water, herbal teas and your daily Beauty & Go.
Sleep & Mood
When we don’t get enough sleep, skin looks dull, we age more quickly and the body even releases a hormone, which increases appetite. Stress plays havoc with our health, including exacerbating skin conditions such as acne and eczema. Feeling happy, relaxed and well-rested on the other hand, is the best way to a radiant, healthy glow and a more beautiful you.
My top tips for getting a good night’s sleep and feeling calmer.